Friday, May 16, 2008

Dear Mr. Spielberg

I recently saw one of your “Star Wars” movies on TV. I liked it! Then I found out there were other “Star Wars” movies, too. I could not find these on TV, so I went to a “video rental store,” but they were going to charge me $4.75. Each! So I went to the library and watched your “Star Wars” movies on the Internet Computers in the library’s big Computer Room. I could only watch 2-minute pieces of your movies, because the Internet didn’t have the whole ones. And the other Computer Room users got upset at me for having the volume so high, so I had to turn it off and could not hear the actors talking or the big spaceships exploding. But I think I got the gist.

These “Star Wars” movies seem to have something special. I cannot put my finger on it. But I have been thinking about the characters—the young man and his shiny robot friends, the cute lady in the nightgown, and the big dog-man that drives the spaceships—and I have come up with an idea that I think will certainly float your boat.


What if, instead of a bunch of “just Star Wars movies,” you somehow tied all the movies together into one big story? You could make some more movies with the same characters, using the same actors, if they’re available, and say to people, “By the way, all these movies are like chapters in a book!” That would get people’s attention, I’ll bet. If you did it right, it would be like the “Rocky” or “The Terminator” movies, or like “The Lavender Hill Mob,” if they had made more than one.

I’ve often been told I am a “creative type,” and that I come up with some “darn creative ideas.” How about if I wrote the stories for you? You obviously put a lot of work into these movies, and I think you’re due for a well-deserved break. You could assign me a team of Hollywood screenwriters who would take notes and give me ideas on what the actors should say. I don’t need a very large team, but we will need access to a big conference table so we can roll out large sheets of butcher paper that we can “brainstorm” on. If my screenwriting team knows any big-name actors, that’s even better, because I’ve read that actors are creative, too, and have good ideas, and that they like to talk about these ideas at fine restaurants and exclusive Hollywood parties.

What’s really exciting about this idea is that we can bring in some new characters to freshen things up. I don’t mean to say that people are tired of your current characters. I think they’re swell, really I do. But one thing I don’t get is that everyone is wearing cotton fabrics. Why don’t they have body armor? They’re in a lot of wars and fights, and they don’t have much protection against the evil white robots, who are obviously well-built and rather invulnerable.

I say, bring in some new, armored “warrior” characters who teach the other characters some new fighting moves and how to make shields and helmets out of metal. The armor should be very shiny, like polished chrome, and maybe have lion figures in relief on the chest plates. If there are any girl warriors, you could put them in chrome brassieres and some sort of thigh guards. They should also have silver boots, and you can give them helmets, but they should have long hair that hangs down from beneath the helmet.

This outfit is not only realistic for a space warrior character, but should save you on the cost of costume materials. Girl warriors don’t need as much armor as the men, because they don’t get hurt as often if they are fighting against men, because the men feel bad about hurting a woman. However, this may be a problem if some of the evil white robots are girl robots. We all know how ugly girl fights can get. You’ll have to let me know if you meant the robots to be both girl and boy robots, or just boys.

Another thing I think is missing is funny characters. Sometimes the friendly robots in your movies are funny, but that’s not the kind of funny I mean. You could have an old man who tells it like it is, or a sidekick who always gets in trouble, or maybe a character with a funny accent. Some of the best movies and TV shows have funny characters. Because people love to laugh!


I think I’ll head back down to the library to see if I can find more of your movie pieces on the Internet Computers. I want to keep these ideas flowing! You know, I’m giddy just thinking about the possibilities. This could be a very big.



No comments: